Sunday, June 14, 2009

Of hair, boots and costumes.

So DaiCon (an anime convention in Malaysia, to be held at Multimedia University, Cyberjaya, on the 11th and 12th of July) is approaching soon (heck, it's less than 30 days away!), and I still haven't assembled my costume. I haven't even bought the materials for my costume (I'm planning to go as a Wa-Loli this year instead of my typical Gothic Loli getup :D) for heaven's sake! But I suppose for now, getting the main costume done isn't my biggest worry. I could get it done in about 3 weeks if I start working on it now. The one true thing I'm cracking my head over are, yes, shoes.

It is almost impossible to find a suitable pair of lolita-type platform shoes here in Butterworth/Penang, and even more impossible to find a pair of punk/gothic elevated boots. Have no idea what I'm talking about?


Lolita/goth-style shoes


Punk/goth boots


The only way I'll be able to get them is
(a) Go to KL and scout around, and possibly burn a ginormous hole in my wallet because stuff like these are rare here and the stores will mark up the price like ZOMG, and also endure disapproving glares from my parents throughout the shopping process because they never let me travel alone even though I'm legally old enough to do so, or
(b) Buy online. Terrific amount of choices, reasonable prices BUT highly risky because it's always a gamble to buy shoes without even trying them on beforehand.

The next thing I'm fussing over is my hair. Somehow, I regret chopping off my rather long pin-straight locks late last year. Now my hair looks something like this except that the bottom part (do you call it a tail? idk) is slightly longer and my hair colour is a darker shade of brown.


Teehee Yunho-oppa 8D

I regret cutting off my hair because now I won't be able to mess around with it as much as I used to, and most importantly I need longer 'tails' to pull off my desired wa-loli look T_T And hair doesn't grow long overnight. As for wigs, my parents would probably kill me for spending so much on fake hair (yes I'm a terribly restricted young adult.... sadly). My best bet now is to find hair extensions, which I hope I'll be able to come across here in the teeny town called Butterworth. I'm also planning to go platinum blonde but I'm kinda worried that it wouldn't go well with my skin tone. Ahh...more things to worry about =\

Finally, the costume. Part of me is actually considering to buy it online, another part of me is worried that the actual product isn't as fab as it looks online (and the measurements! Don't forget the measurements! It might fit me like a glove, it might also fit me like a gunnysack.) Because of this, there's the other options of finding a tailor, or tailoring it myself. Now, I have no experience with sewing (my home ec projects were all completed by my mom way back in Form 3), but with all those amazing tutorials online, I suppose I might be able to construct a decent dress....? Anyway I saw this costume which was the embodiment of the design I had in mind on ebay :



And it only costs USD60 inclusive of shipping! Saves a huge load of time searching for fabric and tailors! But then again, in order to buy it online, I'd have to resort to asking my dad for his credit card, and he'll most probably object to it anyway... Ah well...

Anyway I should probably stop ranting now nfufufu. To everyone reading this and will be/is planning on going to DaiCon, see you guys there~ :D

No comments: