Friday, June 26, 2009

In Loving Memory

I was rudely awakened by a stranger at 6a.m. Brainless idiot didn't even make a sound when I said 'Hello?' twice. Anyway, I tried going back to sleep but later at around 8a.m I heard my mom saying something about "Michael Jackson is dead!" in the living room. I thought perhaps it was just a figure of speech, because he hasn't really been active lately apart from scheduling the concert in London. And I was still rather groggy myself. A few minutes later the rational part of my brain told me that my previous assumptions just couldn't be right. I mulled the thought over in my head when my mom came into my room, breaking the devastating news to me.

Now, I'm not going to go into the details of his career and details of how he passed away (the cause was said to be due to cardiac arrest), as I'm sure people have already read all about it and I don't want to be redundant. I'm just going to blog about my feelings on this matter.

I am a fan of MJ, well, truthfully, not an ardent one, but I really appreciate and love listening to his songs. I do recall being crazy over his songs when I was a young, young kid though. Sadly, almost none of my friends in primary school are his fans, so I suppose the fandom started to die down a little. I continued listening to his songs and watching his MVs, however. I just had no-one to discuss about him with. Needless to say, I was really distraught with the news and couldn't seem to believe it. Even now, it feels like a hoax. I'm somewhat expecting someone to announce over the media, "Hey! April's Fools was just delayed for 2 and a half months! June's Fools everyone! MJ is not really well but is definitely alive!" or something like that. It's just so... sudden and shocking.

A local radio station, Mix.fm is playing MJ's songs for the whole day today as a tribute to him, and some of it were the American Idol contestants' versions. I nearly cried with agony when Kris' rendition of 'Remember the Time' was on air. What a terrible, terrible disgrace. I'm sorry, but a phenomenal song (one of my favourites, in fact) was instantly turned into a miserably boring one. Flame me all you want, Kris lovers, but I stand by my statement. The point is, MJ is - pardon me, was, a "One and only" type of artist. He was a true performer. To date, I don't think any other artist has managed to create the kind of atmosphere and fandom only MJ is able to. He is truly deserving of the title "The King of Pop" - nobody will be able to take that title away from him.

I saw people posting nasty comments like "Great. One less pervert to worry about." and "Child molesters should burn in hell!" Honestly speaking, those people are rather shallow. You respect and admire an artist/singer for their musical talents, and their personal life is up to them. Kind of like how people started bad talking Adam Lambert when pictures of him kissing another guy was circulated around the internet. Ah well... they are entitled to their thoughts, but I just find it rather disturbing and.... childish.

I wrote some sort of eulogy for him. Sounds kinda cheesy and weird but, oh well.

Michael, it doesn't matter if you are black or white, it is thriller enough to rock with you. I remember the time, the way you make me feel like a smooth criminal listening to you sing the song “Bad”. I cry when I found out that you are gone too soon. I just can't stop loving you and I hope you know that you are not alone.
Sheesh I'm still feeling depressed after a good 10 hours! Although I do not personally know him (DUH!) it's really sad and distressing when a legend passes on, especially when you grew up listening to his songs. I regret that I've never been able to attend his concert at least once. My final words are, "Though he may be physically gone, he will continue to live on as a legend in the hearts of millions. Thank you, Michael, for years and years of solid entertainment. May your soul find eternal peace."

Farrah Fawcett, famous for her debut in the hit TV series, "Charlie's Angels" also passed away due to cancer yesterday. May her soul also find eternal peace. It's actually kind of sad how everyone is buzzing over MJ's death and not paying much heed to Farrah's death... (yes sadly I'm one of them T_T)

1 comment:

danchan said...

Will definitely miss both of them...actually loved MJ more when he was a kid...and Farrah Fawcett...who could forget that stunning poster of her in her one-piece red swim suit...had one in my room in the 70's...
Farewell to both of you and may your souls rest in eternal peace...